devopsdays Philadelphia - Propose
Call for proposals opens Monday, May 14, 2018.
Call for proposals closes Saturday, Jul 14, 2018.
Selected proposals will be announced on Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018.
Devopsdays Philadelphia is a single track, two day event on October 23rd and 24th 2018. The format will include main track presentations, Ignite talks, and Open Spaces sessions. We’re soliciting proposals for 30 minute presentations and Ignite style lightning talks.
A selection committee will review all proposed talks. Submitters will receive an email update before the program is announced. All proposals must be received by Friday June 2nd night into Saturday at 12am Eastern. Selected proposals will be announced a few weeks after the closing date.
Are you new to public speaking? We can provide guidance/coaching for new speakers upon request.
There are three types of sessions that you can propose. This call for proposals covers types 1 and 2.
- Talk/panel for the conference main track. These are 30 minute slots that will have the full attention of all attendees, as everybody will be in that one room.
- Ignite talk that will be presented during the Ignite sessions. These are 5 minutes slots with slides changing every 15 seconds (20 slides total) which are also presented to all attendees in one room.
- Open Space session. We welcome the discussion and interaction by having people propose a session on the fly during Open Space. Check the Open Space explanation for more information.
Choosing talks is part art, part science; here are some factors we consider when trying to assemble the best possible program for our local audience:
- Broad appeal: How will your talk play out in a room of people with a variety of backgrounds? Technical deep dives need more levels to provide value for the whole room, some of whom might not use your specific tool.
- New local presenters: You are the only one who can tell your story. We are very interested in the challenges and successes being experienced in our local Philadelphia area communities.
- Under-represented voices: We want to hear all voices, including those that may speak less frequently at similar events. Whether you’re in a field not typically thought of as a technology field, you’re in a large, traditional organization, or you’re the only person at your organization with your background, we are interested in your unique experience.
- Original content: We prefer talks not already presented at another event, especially another one in the local area or one available in recorded form.
- No third-party submissions: If a PR firm or your marketing department is proposing the talk, you’ve already shown that as a speaker you’re distant from the process. This is a small community-driven event, and speakers need to be directly engaged with the organizers and attendees.
- No vendor pitches: We value vendors and sponsors, however we cannot accept a talk that appears to be a pitch for your product. If you’d like to demo your product or service, please consider sponsoring the event to secure your company a table.
Code of Conduct
Please review the event code of conduct.
If your employer does not cover travel expenses you incur as a speaker at Devopsdays Philadelphia the conference will help. Speakers receive free conference tickets and should not incur out-of-pocket travel expenses in order to participate.