“With microservices every outage is like a murder mystery” is a common complaint. But it doesn’t have to be! This talk gives an overview on how to monitor applications from every possible angle. We dive into:
- System metrics: Keep track of network traffic and system load.
- Application logs: Collect structured logs in a central location.
- Uptime monitoring: Ping services and actively monitor their availability and response time.
- Application metrics: Get the information from REST or JMX.
- Request tracing: Use Sleuth to trace requests through a distributed system and Zipkin to show how long each call takes.
And we will do all of that live, since it is so easy and much more interactive that way.